Online design and development
MHL is a online design company based in Edinburgh. We design and build sites and apps for the web and mobile. We love doing what we do.
We work flexibly and creatively to meet your audience's needs. We have a proven track record in the delivery of brilliant online solutions.
last updated Feb 19th 2013
Have just finished the first phase of a beautiful project for University of Edinburgh on the literary heritage of Orkney and Shetland (see www.writingthenorth.com). The next phase of the project will see the development of a project-dialogue area and an interactive called "writing the map".
The Information literacy project NLS called Project Blaster is being piloted with various schools in Scotland and all going well.
Work progressing... My artwork archive can be seen here.
An information Literacy site for the Learning Zone at National Library of Scotland
MHL was involved throughout all stages of the creation of this project for the Learning Zone at the National Library of Scotland, from initial concepts through to scoping, definition, design and video and animation production.
Designing with insight
Cameron Optometry is a highly successful bespoke opthalmic optometrist, who are already recognised for setting the benchmark in their areas of expertise. They consider themselves to be the "absolutely the best" and wanted their website to reflect their position in the marketplace. The task was to design a site that remained approachable to the core audience, while simultaneously asserting an underlying message of a company that is a confident, cutting edge market leader.
Cut and paste
Shakespeare Collected was commissioned jointly by University of Edinburgh and the National Library of Scotland to make available online their unique collection of early Shakespeare folios and quartos.
A parallel interpretive/educational aspect of the site looks at early collectors who contributed to this collection and provides an interactive feature that is intended to reflect early 'scrapbook' style collecting techniques.
The scrapbook feature is integrated with a mobile app, which allows users to view their collections and add new material.
"Mark Haddon grasped the brief very quickly, and was able to convert our sometimes sketchy ideas into clearly worked out plans within a short space of time. He fulfilled all commitments and requirements promptly and according to the agreed timetable, and he ensured that all our technical and design requirements were ably met. We were very happy indeed with his management and implementation of the project".
James Loxley, Professor of Early Modern Literature, University of Edinburgh
Getting Started with Shakespeare
Exploring Scenes and Sonnets
Getting Started with Shakespeare is a learning resource website commissioned by the National Library of Scotland to run along side the Shakespeare Collected website. The learning resource was aimed at secondary and primary pupils, the secondary feature was developed in collaboration with the NLS Poet in Residence, Ken Cockburn as a writing tool designed to look at sonnet construction.
"We were delighted with the visual and interactive treatment Mark provided on the 'Getting Started with Shakespeare' website. We have very specific requirements for our sites so it's essential for us to work with someone who can provide a tailor-made and collaborative approach. Mark provided this and we have been very pleased with the results".
Alice Heywood, Education & Outreach Officer, National Library of Scotland
Main web portal and the Learning Zone for the National Library of Scotland
Commissioned by National Library of Scotland to design their main public facing website. Design was to be upbeat and flexible enough to be able to accommodate content restructure, while at the same time facilitate easy migration of old site across into new CMS.
Subsequently Mark Haddon was commissioned to design the new Learning Zone website. The design was required to both sit firmly withing the new main NLS website brand, yet also meet the Learning Zone's specific remit in targeting and reaching new audiences.
All work done for the NLS is designed to meet their exacting Accesibility and Usability standards.
Worked with brilliant illustratore Ed McGowan on this project.
National Library of Scotland
Public Sector and Learning
- Red Tree Business Suites for Clyde Gateway
- Scottish Police Services Authority
- Scottish Confederation of University and Research Libraries
- Know the Score for the Scottish Government
- Skills for Care
- Visit Scotland annual report
- Creative Arts and Business Network for Borders Regional Council
- University of Edinburgh Business School
- Lanarkshire - region portal
- Mental Welfare Commission
- National Library of Scotland - Main site
- National Library of Scotland Learning Zone
- Other NLS Learning Zone items including:
Getting started with Shakespeare
Home and Away
Video guides on using the library
Heroes, the splendid insights of Mr. Smiles
Interactive timeline for John Murray Archive
- Other NLS Digital Library items including:
Medical History of British India
Golf in Scotland
Word on the Street
- Standard Club
- Charles Taylor Adjusting
- Glenmorangie Extranet for Moët Hennessy.
- RBS, Online ad campaign assets for Global Banking & Markets and Group
- Bank of Scotland
- Schroder Investment
- Findlay Irvine
- Cameron Optometry
- Convivium Wine
- Activity Mix employee engagement
- Archerfield Golf Club
- Incito online business solutions
- Jane Rutherford - artist website
- Liddell Thomson PR
- Longridge School
- Mulberry House complementary health
- Settlement Dynamics
- Mary Morrison - artist website
- Wiszniewski Thomson Architects
Online software, brand development, design and usability
- Have done a great deal of work on UX, usability, interface design and brand development with online market research software company ChatCloud and before that with Ebox. As part of this process I also produced user guides and a range of marketing assets, for example this video.
WHAT WE DO
Mark Haddon Ltd. has over 15 years experience developing and designing online software, websites and interactive features.
We have a thorough understanding of the drives and strategic imperatives in several markets including heritage, public sector, commercial, finance, educational and SME and have honed our skills to meet their specific needs.
Specific online services offered are:
- Creative development and consultancy including design, accesibility and usability. The MHL UX development process is focused on designing user journeys that best join client objectives and user needs.
- Content development including interpretation, copy writing, photography, interactive feature development, interpretive resource development and social media integration
- Online video and animation
We work within a ring-fenced network of highly skilled online specialists and so can quickly create teams around the specific needs of individual an project. This method of working increases individual responsibility and keeps your costs down.
Withing this network we have direct acces to technical development and consultancy in a full spectrum of platforms and frameworks, including mobile. We can provide hosting and ongoing maintenace, support and SEM options.
We're a small company so it matters to us that we make a measurable difference to your organisation's business.