Online design and development
MHL is a online design and production company based in Edinburgh. We design and build websites and apps for the web and mobile. We also produce online animations, video and other content. We love doing what we do.
Work progressing on wooden objects: am thinking about the transformative impact of coming into a grove or clearing in a woodland... anyway some of my current artwork can be seen here.. I have also recently been commissioned to produce a commemorative wooden object based around idea of a boat (will add photos when its ready).
Writing the North
Celebrating the literary heritage of Orkney and Shetland: A year long project commissioned by the University of Edinburgh
MHL was involved throughout all stages of the creation of this project from initial concepts through to scoping, definition, design, video and animation production and book design.
The project required production of a website with an Interactive Map, where visitors to the site could add their own location-based writing, and a Dialogue Area, which was in a way the heart of the project. In the Dialogue Area area researchers and local poets discussed specific heritage texts from the region - the ultimate aim being to derive from this collaboration a new piece of poetry.
Additionally MHL was commissioned to produce a series of short videos on the literary heritage of Orkney and Shetland and a ten minute animation celebrating the bicentenary of Walter Scott's journey to the northern isles.
The project culminated in the production of a poetry book called Archipelagos. As mentioned above the poems were a result of the dialogue process between researcher and writers. The book is available in print (ISBN 978-0-7486-9755-7) but also downloadable here as a PDF.
"Mark was an integral part of the 'Writing the North' project from the start. He gave all our own ideas for the website and publications a beautiful visual look, and he also came up with ideas for web features, all of which were perfect for the project.
Mark is an imaginative and creative designer - he was a pleasure to work with and he would be my first choice for any future projects".
Professor Penny Fielding, Head of Department, English Literature, University of Edinburgh
An information Literacy site for the Learning Zone at National Library of Scotland
MHL was involved throughout all stages of the creation of this project for the Learning Zone at the National Library of Scotland, from initial concepts through to scoping, definition, design and video and animation production.
Cut and paste
Shakespeare Collected was commissioned jointly by University of Edinburgh and the National Library of Scotland to make available online their unique collection of early Shakespeare folios and quartos.
A parallel interpretive/educational aspect of the site looks at early collectors who contributed to this collection and provides an interactive feature that is intended to reflect early 'scrapbook' style collecting techniques.
"Mark Haddon grasped the brief very quickly, and was able to convert our sometimes sketchy ideas into clearly worked out plans within a short space of time. He fulfilled all commitments and requirements promptly and according to the agreed timetable, and he ensured that all our technical and design requirements were ably met. We were very happy indeed with his management and implementation of the project".
James Loxley, Professor of Early Modern Literature, University of Edinburgh
Main web portal and the Learning Zone for the National Library of Scotland
Commissioned by National Library of Scotland to design their main public facing website. Design was to be 'Responsive', upbeat and flexible enough to be able to accommodate existing content structures, facilitate easy migration of old site across into new CMS.
Subsequently MHL was commissioned to design the new Learning Zone website. The design was required to both sit firmly withing the new main NLS website brand, yet also meet the Learning Zone's specific remit in targeting and reaching new audiences.
All work done for the NLS is designed to meet their exacting Accesibility and Usability standards.
Worked with illustrator Ed McGowan on this project.
Learning and Interpretation Projects
- Sites for University of Edinburgh:
Writing the North
A Secret Golden Age
- Sites for NLS Learning Zone:
NLS Learning Zone
Heroes, the splendid insights of Mr. Smiles
Getting started with Shakespeare
Home and Away
Video guides on using the library
Interactive timeline for John Murray Archive
- OCR - qualification awarding body (now superseded)
- University of Edinburgh Business School (now superseded)
Public Sector and Heritage Projects
- Red Tree Business Suites for Clyde Gateway
- Scottish Police Services Authority
- Scottish Confederation of University and Research Libraries
- Know the Score for the Scottish Government
- Skills for Care
- Visit Scotland annual report
- Creative Arts and Business Network for Borders Regional Council
- Lanarkshire - region portal (superseded)
- Mental Welfare Commission
- National Library of Scotland - Main site
- Other NLS Digital Library items including:
Medical History of British India
Golf in Scotland
Word on the Street
- National Museum of Scotland and sub-sites (now superseded)
- Scottish Seabird Centre (now superseded)
- Standard Club
- Charles Taylor Adjusting
- Inalytics (now superseded)
- Glenmorangie Extranet for Moët Hennessy.
- RBS, Online ad campaign assets for Global Banking & Markets and Group
- Bank of Scotland (now superseded)
- Schroder Investment (now superseded)
- Findlay Irvine
- Cameron Optometry
- Convivium Wine
- Activity Mix employee engagement
- Archerfield Golf Club
- Incito online business solutions
- Jane Rutherford - artist website
- Liddell Thomson PR
- Longridge School
- Mulberry House complementary health
- Settlement Dynamics
- Mary Morrison - artist website
- Wiszniewski Thomson Architects
Online software, brand development, design and usability
- Have done a great deal of work on UX, usability, interface design and brand development with online market research software company ChatCloud and before that with Ebox. As part of this process I also produced user guides and a range of marketing assets, for example this video.
WHAT WE DO
Mark Haddon Ltd. has over 15 years experience developing and designing online software, websites and interactive features.
We have a thorough understanding of the drives and strategic imperatives in several markets including learning, heritage, public sector, commercial and SME and have honed our skills to meet the specific needs of each.
- Creative development and consultancy including design, accesibility and usability. Our UX development process is focused on designing user journeys that best join client objectives and user needs.
- Content development including interpretation, copy writing, photography, interactive feature development and interpretive resource development
- Online video and animation
We work within a network of highly skilled online specialists and so can quickly create teams around the specific needs of individual an project. We can provide technical development and consultancy in a full spectrum of platforms and frameworks, including mobile.
We're a small company so it matters to us that we make a measurable difference to your organisation's business.